This page provides shortcuts to selected individuals within the Families Database.
A. KEY HISTORICAL FIGURES
B. COMPANIONS OF WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR AT HASTINGS (1066)
C. SURETY BARONS FOR THE ENFORCEMENT OF THE MAGNA CARTA (1215)
D. SIGNATORIES OF THE DECLARATION OF ARBROATH (1320)
E. BRITISH PRIME MINISTERS
F. PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
G. OTHER CELEBRITIES
The Selected Individuals identified in the various Groups below have each been flagged with §X in the Families Database where X is the relevant group on this page (with X replaced by A, B, C, D, E, F or G as applicable). Except for those in Group A, who are highlighted even more clearly in green, each Selected Individual is also drawn attention to by a turquoise marker on the relevant page (normally over the reference cell). Click on the §X to return to this page.
Some of these Selected Individuals, along with various other people in the database, have (also) been flagged with §Y§ which means that that person appears in a table or list somewhere else in the site, with Y identifying which table/list that is (with Y replaced by P, R, T or W as applicable). Click on that flag to go to the relevant page. The alternatives are:
- §P§ : someone who has been made the subject of a Pen Profile in the site.
- §R§ : an ancestor of the Princes William & Harry, the sons of Charles Windsor, the present Prince of Wales, who is mentioned on the Royals01 tree (or on the intermediary Royals02 page).
- §T§ : someone mentioned on the Genealogy Traps page as a person whose genealogy is often misrepresented.
- §W§ : someone mentioned on The Tribes of Wales as a founder or progenitor of one of the Welsh tribes.
Don't forget that the database follows the Ancestral Lines of selected historic 'royals'.
Adam and Eve
Noah (b 2948BC, d 1998BC)
Abraham (originally called Abram) (b 1812BC, d 1637BC)
Julius Caesar, Dictator of Rome (b 13.07.100BC, d 15.03.44BC)
Joshua (Yeshua) of Nazareth, Jesus Christ (b c4BCE, d 30/33CE)
Woden (or Odin or Bodo or Wotan), King of Saxons (b 215, d 300)
Charlemagne, King of the Franks, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire (b 02.04.742, d 28.01.814)
Alfred 'the Great', King of England (d 899)
Hugh Capet, King of France (b 941, d 24.10.966)
Brian Boru, King of Ireland (b c926, d 23.04.1014)
William I 'the Conqueror', Duke of Normandy, King of England (b 1027, d 07.09.1087)
Somerled, King of the Northern Isles (b c1113, d Renfrew 1164)
Llywelyn 'the Great', Prince of Wales (b 1173, d 11.04.1240)
Edward Plantagenet, 'Longshanks', King Edward I of England (b 17.06.1239, d 08.07.1307)
Robert 'the' Bruce, King Robert I of Scots (b 11.07.1274, d 07.06.1329)
Henry Tudor, King Henry VIII of England (b 28.06.1491, d 28.01.1547)
James Stuart, King James VI of Scotland, James I of England and Ireland (b 19.06.1566, d 27.03.1625)
Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector, Head of the Commonwealth (b 25.04.1599, d 03.09.1658)
John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough (b 24.06.1650, d 16.06.1722, Captain General)
George Washington, 1st President of the USA (b 22.02.1732, d 14.12.1799)
Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (b 29.04.1769, d 14.09.1852, Prime Minister, Field Marshal)
Charles Darwin (b 12.02.1809, d 19.04.1882, naturalist, author)
Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom, Empress of India (b 24.05.1819, d 22.01.1901)
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, Prime Minister (b 30.11.1874, d 24.01.1965)
GROUP B. COMPANIONS OF WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR AT (THE BATTLE OF) HASTINGS (1066)
William the Conqueror himself is in Group A above. There are many others who have been described as "companions of the Conqueror" but the following appear to be viewed as the core group. [The following will be replaced in due course to be (more) consistent with the information given in an excellent book 'The Conqueror and His Companions', published in 1874 by J.R. Planché, Somerset Herald, which has been reported in full on http://genealogy.patp.us.]
(1) Robert de Beaumont, later Count of Meulan and Earl of Leicester (2) Eustache, Count of Boulogne and Lens (3) William, later Count of Evreux (4) Geoffrey de Mortagne, later Count of Perche (5) William FitzOsbern, later Earl of Hereford (6) Almery, Vicomte of Thouars (7) Hugh de Montfort, Sn de Montfort-sur-Risle (8) Walter Giffard, Sn de Longueville (9) Ralph de Toeni, Sn of Conches (10) Hugh de Grentmesnil, Sn de Grentmesnil (11) William de Warrenne, later Earl of Surrey (12) William Malet, Sn de Graville (13) Odo (Eudes), Bishop of Bayeux, later Earl of Kent (14) Turstin FitzRou (15) Engenulf de 'Aigle, Sn de l'Aigle (16) Geoffrey de Mowbray, Bishop of Coutances (17) Robert de Burgh, Count of Mortain, later Earl of Cornwall (18) Wadard (19) Vital (20) Goubert d'Auffay, Sn de Auffay et St. Valerie
GROUP C. SURETY BARONS FOR THE ENFORCEMENT OF THE MAGNA CARTA (1215)
(1) William d'Albini, Lord of Belvoir Castle (2) Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk and Suffolk (3) Hugh Bigod, Heir to the Earldoms of Norfolk and Suffolk (4) Henry de Bohun, Earl of Hereford (5) Richard de Clare, Earl of Hertford (6) Gilbert de Clare, heir to the earldom of Hertford (7) John FitzRobert, Lord of Warkworth Castle (8) Robert FitzWalter, Lord of Dunmow Castle (9) William de Fortibus, Earl of Albemarle (10) William Hardell, Mayor of the City of London (11) William de Huntingfield, Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk (12) John de Lacie, Lord of Pontefract Castle (13) William de Lanvallei, Lord of Standway Castle (14) William Malet, Sheriff of Somerset and Dorset (15) Geoffrey de Mandeville, Earl of Essex and Gloucester (16) William Marshall the younger, heir to the earldom of Pembroke (17) Roger de Montbegon, Lord of Hornby Castle (18) Richard de Montfichet, Baron (19) William de Mowbray, Lord of Axholme Castle (20) Richard de Percy, Baron (21) Saire de Quincey, Earl of Winchester (22) Robert de Roos, Lord of Hamlake Castle (23) Geoffrey de Saye, Baron (24) Robert de Vere, heir to the earldom of Oxford (25) Eustace de Vesci, Lord of Alnwick Castle
GROUP D. SIGNATORIES OF THE DECLARATION OF ARBROATH (1320)
(1) Duncan, Earl of Fife (2) Thomas Randolph, Earl of Moray, Lord of Man and of Annandale (3) Patrick Dunbar, Earl of March (4) Malise, Earl of Strathearn (5) Malcolm, Earl of Lennox (6) William, Earl of Ross (7) Magnus, Earl of Caithness and Orkney (8) William, Earl of Sutherland (9) Walter, Steward of Scotland (10) William Soules, Butler of Scotland (11) James, Lord of Douglas (12) Roger Mowbray (13) David, Lord of Brechin (14) David Graham (15) Ingram Umfraville (16) John Menteith, guardian of the earldom of Menteith (17) Alexander Fraser (18) Gilbert Hay, Constable of Scotland (19) Robert Keith, Marischal of Scotland (20) Henry St Clair (21) John Graham (22) David Lindsay (23) William Oliphant (24) Patrick Graham (25) John Fenton (26) William Abernethy (27) David Wemyss (28) William Mushet (29) Fergus of Ardrossan (30) Eustace Maxwell (31) William Ramsay (32) William Mowat (33) Alan Murray (34) Donald Campbell (35) John Cameron (36) Reginald Cheyne (37) Alexander Seton (38) Andrew Leslie (39) Alexander Straiton
GROUP E. BRITISH PRIME MINISTERS
Although it had been used informally before then, the term 'Prime Minister' was not used formally until the time of Henry Campbell-Bannerman. Previous to him, the 'Prime Ministers' were formally referred to as the First Lords of the Treasury, which title is still retained by modern Prime Ministers. Names in red had been Prime Minister previously. Names in capitals are also included in Group A above.
(1) 1721-42 Robert Walpole (2) 1742-43 Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington (3) 1743-54 Henry Pelham (4) 1754-56 Thomas Pelham-Holles, Duke of Newcastle (5) 1756-57 William Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire 1757-62 Duke of Newcastle (6) 1762-63 John Stuart, Earl of Bute (7) 1763-65 George Grenville (8) 1765-66 Charles Watson Wentworth, Marquess of Rockingham (9) 1766-70 Augustus Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Grafton (10) 1770-82 Frederick North, Lord North 1782 Marquess of Rockingham (11) 1782-83 William Petty-Fitzmaurice, Earl of Shelburne (12) 1783 William Henry Cavendish-Bentinck, Duke of Portland (13) 1783-1801 William Pitt (14) 1801-04 Henry Addington 1804-06 William Pitt (15) 1806-07 William Wyndham, Lord Grenville 1807-09 Duke of Portland (16) 1809-12 Spencer Perceval (17) 1812-27 Robert Banks Jenkinson, Earl of Liverpool (18) 1827 George Canning (19) 1827-28 Frederick John Robinson, Viscount Goderich (20) 1828-30 ARTHUR WELLESLEY, DUKE OF WELLINGTON (21) 1830-34 Charles Grey, Earl Grey (22) 1834 William Lamb, Viscount Melbourne (23) 1834-35 Robert Peel 1835-41 Viscount Melbourne 1842-46 Robert Peel (24) 1846-52 Lord John Russell (25) 1852 Edward George Geoffrey Smith Stanley, Earl of Derby (26) 1852-55 George Hamilton-Gordon, Lord Aberdeen (27) 1855-58 Henry John Temple, Viscount Palmerston 1858-59 Earl of Derby 1859-65 Viscount Palmerston 1865-66 Lord John Russell 1866-68 Earl of Derby (28) 1868 Benjamin Disraeli (29) 1868-74 William Ewart Gladstone 1874-80 Benjamin Disraeli 1880-85 William Gladstone (30) 1885-86 Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil, Marquess of Salisbury 1886 William Gladstone 1886-92 Marquess of Salisbury 1892-94 William Gladstone (31) 1894-95 Archibald Philip Primrose, Earl of Rosebery 1895-1902 Marquess of Salisbury (32) 1902-05 Arthur James Balfour (33) 1905-08 Henry Campbell-Bannerman (34) 1908-16 Herbert Henry Asquith (35) 1916-22 David Lloyd George (36) 1922-23 Andrew Bonar Law (37) 1923-24 Stanley Baldwin (38) 1924 James Ramsay Macdonald 1924-29 Stanley Baldwin 1929-35 Ramsay Macdonald 1935-37 Stanley Baldwin (39) 1937-40 Arthur Neville Chamberlain (40) 1940-45 WINSTON LEONARD SPENCER-CHURCHILL (41) 1945-51 Clement Richard Attlee 1951-55 Winston Churchill (42) 1955-57 Robert Anthony Eden (43) 1957-63 Maurice Harold Macmillan (44) 1963-64 Alexander Frederick Douglas-Home (45) 1964-70 James Harold Wilson (46) 1970-74 Edward Richard George Heath 1974-76 Harold Wilson (47) 1976-79 Leonard James Callaghan (48) 1979-90 Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts) (49) 1990-97 John Roy Major (50) 1997-2007 Anthony Charles Lynton Blair (51) 2007-10 James Gordon Brown (52) 2010-16 David William Donald Cameron (53) 2016-2019 Theresa Mary May (née Brasier) (54) 2019- Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson
GROUP F. PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Names in red had been President previously. Names in capitals are also included in Group A above.
(1) 1789-97 GEORGE WASHINGTON (2) 1797-1801 John Adams (3) 1801-09 Thomas Jefferson (4) 1809-17 James Madison (5) 1817-25 James Monroe (6) 1825-29 John Quincy Adams (7) 1829-37 Andrew Jackson (8) 1837-41 Martin van Buren (9) 1841 William Henry Harrison (10) 1841-45 John Tyler (11) 1845-49 James Knox Polk (12) 1849-50 Zachary Taylor (13) 1850-53 Millard Fillmore (14) 1853-57 Franklin Pierce (15) 1857-61 James Buchanan (16) 1861-65 Abraham Lincoln (17) 1865-69 Andrew Johnson (18) 1869-77 Ulysses Simpson Grant (19) 1877-81 Rutherford Birchard Hayes (20) 1881 James Abram Garfield (21) 1881-85 Chester Alan Arthur (22) 1885-89 Grover Cleveland (23) 1889-93 Benjamine Harrison (24) 1893-97 Grover Cleveland (25) 1897-1901 William McKinley (26) 1901-09 Theodore Roosevelt (27) 1909-13 William Howard Taft (28) 1913-21 Woodrow Wilson (29) 1921-23 Warren Gamaliel Harding (30) 1923-29 Calvin Coolidge (31) 1929-33 Herbert Clark Hoover (32) 1933-45 Franklin Delano Roosevelt (33) 1945-53 Harry S Truman (34) 1953-61 Dwight David Eisenhower (35) 1961-63 John Fitzgerald Kennedy (36) 1963-69 Lyncon Baines Johnson (37) 1969-74 Richard Milhous Nixon (38) 1974-77 Gerald Rudolph Ford (39) 1977-81 James Earl Carter (40) 1981-89 Ronald Wilson Reagan (41) 1989-93 George Herbert Walker Bush (42) 1993-2001 William Jefferson Clinton (43) 2001-2009 George Walker Bush (44) 2009-2017 Barack Hussein Obama (45) 2017- Donald John Trump.
GROUP G. OTHER CELEBRITIES
Sir William Wallace, Guardian of Scotland (1276-1305)
Geoffrey Chaucer (c1340-1400, author, poet)
Owen Glyndwr or Glendower, last 'Prince of Wales' (1359-1416)
Sir Thomas More, Saint (1478-1535, lord chancellor)
John Knox (c1505-1572, church reformer)
Sir Francis Drake (c1540-1596, navigator)
Sir Walter Rawley or Raleigh (c1554-1618, adventurer)
William Shakespeare (1564-1616, playwright, dramatist, poet)
John Locke (1632-1704, philosopher)
Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727, scientist)
Henry Home, Lord Kames (1696-1752, judge, sociologist)
John Wesley (1703-1791, founder of Methodism)
David Hume (1711-1776, historian, philosopher)
Robert Clive 'of India' (1725-1774, soldier, statesman)
Horatio Nelson (1758-1805, admiral)
William Wordsworth (1770-1850, poet)
Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832, author)
Jane Austen (1775-1817, author)
George, Lord Byron (1788-1824, poet)
Percy Shelley (1792-1822, poet)
Florence Nightingale (1820-1910, nursing pioneer)
Camilla Shand, Duchess of Cornwall (1947-)