Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 22 MARCH 2017
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Click here for a page which lists in date order the pages which were uploaded in earlier years. The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years page, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to February 2017 (excluding the draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards, and FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in or just above note A below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with very few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
Number of pages added
|(excludes Draft and Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded so far in 2017: 66
03.01 Cleaver1, Peach1 04.01 Hussey06, Lake02 07.01 Butler20 08.01 Streatfeild2 09.01 Hervey07, Hervey08 10.01 Butts1 11.01 Bettenham1, Evering1 12.01 Cage1, Hawkins04 13.01 Whitaker2 14.01 Ingham1 15.01 Hemsworth1 19.01 Turner05 20.01 Randolph1 21.01 Hall07, Lynch02 25.01 Lamb1, Lamb2 27.01 Burges1, FZmisc08, Kingsley1 28.01 Ayleworth1 29.01 KZmisc05 30.01 Porter04 31.01 Carr04, Cocks2, Davison2 At 31.01.17: 64+94+5487=5645 01.02 Maplisden1 02.02 Waterhouse03 06.02 Brett1 09.02 Espinasse1, Paynter1 12.02 Paynter2 13.02 Gilbert04 14.02 Gilborne1, Lambert06 15.02 Peak3 18.02 Lethieullier1 19.02 Chambers1 26.02 Morland1 27.02 Rolt1 28.02 Whitton1 At 28.02.17: 64+94+5502=5660 01.03 Withen1 02.03 Nevinson1 05.03 Farnaby1 06.03 Selwyn1, Selwyn2, Selwyn3 07.03 Nourse1, TZmisc09, Weyland1 08.03 Watts01, Watts02 09.03 Dixon02 13.03 Gibbons3 14.03 Carter02 15.03 Curtis03, Rolfe1 16.03 Goldsmith1 22.03 Bromley3, Chester3, Gastrell1.
PCBG notes (last updated 20.12.16)
(1) I am still trawling through various sources that focus on particular regions of the British Isles, seeing where this takes me. I have had sessions on Buckinghamshire, Herefordshire & Sussex and recently completed work on Hunter's 'Familiae Minorum Gentium' ("FMG") which looks mainly at Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire & Lancashire. I am presently working on Kent, looking mainly at Berry's 'CountyGen' which is basically Visitation (Kent, 1619) plus additions. This kind of work can be a bit slow and does not always lead to new pages or significant amendment of existing pages. Sometimes it just enables me to make a minor improvement here & there around the database. That can still be worthwhile.
(2) As for my reviews of various 'multi-branch families', I have so far completed my work on the Hamiltons & Leslies and am part-way through (temporarily-halted) reviews of the Campbells, Carews & Montgomerys. Other families to be covered in due course will probably include Bruce, Bulkeley, Fermor, Leigh & Petre. I am still stuck on the Staffords so any suggestions on them would be welcome.
A. On (rare) occasion I will work on Sections I & II, the Ancient and Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database (British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see the note above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): Petley1 (08.01.17), Streatfeild1 (08.01.17), Hughes09 (09.01.17), HZmisc15 (09.01.17), Palmer01 (10.01.17), Palmer05 (10.01.17), Shakerley1 (11.01.17), Saunderson02 (14.01.17), Whitaker2 (14.01.17), Smith14 (15.01.17), Best01 (20.01.17), Price03 (21.01.17), Wilmot02 (21.01.17), Aldersey01 (22.01.17), StLeger1 (22.01.17), Wyatt1 (26.01.17), WZmisc11 (27.01.17), BZmisc25 (29.01.17), PZmisc14 (29.01.17), BZmisc25 (30.01.17), SZmisc17 (30.01.17), Davison1 (31.01.17), CZmisc16 (01.02.17), Harbottle1, (01.02.17), MZmisc13 (01.02.17), Fisher02 (06.02.17), HZmisc12 (07.02.17), HZmisc15 (07.02.17), EZmisc01 (12.02.17), Lade1 (13.02.17), Peak1 (15.02.17), DZmisc04 (19.02.17), Jacob1 (19.02.17), Best01 (27.02.17), BZmisc25 (27.02.17), Ryder1 (02.03.17), Dering1 (06.03.17), BZmisc12 (08.03.17), Nicolson3 (08.03.17), Hart01 (15.03.17), Palmer07 (16.03.17), Clobery1 (20.03.17), Bromley2 (21.03.17).
D. See The Stirnet Portal to find out how easy it is to get a free link from this Families Database to your own web site. If you don't have your own site at the moment but would like one, we may be able to help you with that also.