Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 26 APRIL 2018
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Click here for a page which lists in date order the pages which were uploaded in earlier years. The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years page, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to March 2018 (excluding the draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards, and FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in or just above note A below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with very few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
|(excludes Draft and Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded so far in 2018: 90
03.01 Newton04 04.01 Calder2 05.01 Bruce13, Coghill1, Innes06 06.01 Campbell35, Henderson03, Honyman1 07.01 [old MZmisc02 renamed Meschines1] BZmisc27, Gibson02, Manson1, Williamson02 09.01 [Gun1 renamed Gunn2] Gunn1, MacAlister1 24.01 Acland2, CZmisc17 25.01 Amadas1 26.01 Ashe2, Bowyer03 27.01 Atwill1, Badcock1 28.01 Ball01, Ball02 31.01 Bellew3 At 31.01.18: 64+94+5741=5899 01.02 Bennett05, Bidlake1, Bishop02 02.02 Blackall2 03.02 Bogan1, Butler21 04.02 Bowerman1, Budockshide1 05.02 Burdon1, Burdon2, BZmisc28 06.02 Burrington1, Calwoodleigh1, Carwithen1 07.02 Champneys2, Trevelyan2 09.02 Cholwill1 10.02 Colman1 11.02 Cooke08 13.02 Cory1, Cottell1 15.02 Cotton07 28.02 Courtenay6, CZmisc18 At 28.02.18: 64+94+5765=5923 01.03 Cudmore1 02.03 Davy03, DZmisc12 12.03 Dillon04 13.03 Docton1 15.03 Duck1 16.03 [old Edgcumbe1 renamed Edgcumbe2] Edgcumbe1, Edgcumbe3 17.03 EZmisc05 20.03 Ford04, Fountaine2, Furse1 21.03 Gale2, Geere1, Gove1 24.03 Hakewill1 25.03 Harlewyn1, Harpur3 26.03 Haydon1, Hillersdon1, Hilman1 29.03 Holcombe1 30.03 Honychurch1, Hooker1 31.03 Hamlyn2, Hore3 At 31.03.18: 64+94+5765=5923 05.04 Hill09 08.04 Hunkin1, Hunt04 12.04 Inglett1, Napier6 14.04 Knapman1, Langford1 15.04 Leigh15 17.04 Loveis1, Luttrell3, Luttrell4 20.04 Lynne2 21.04 Mapowder1 22.04 MZmisc14 23.04 Moore14 26.04 Newcourt1.
PCBG notes (last updated 20.04.18)
(1) As reported elsewhere in the site, I am presently working on 'upgrading' the site from http to https, with a few other repairs & improvements being considered also, and am not sure how long this will take. [See the note at the top of the Troubleshooting page.] This might distract me from working on the database from time to time but that will probably only be for a few days at a time. However, being apparently quiet for a period may also mean that I have not worked on the site at all (that does happen from time to time) or that I have made only minor changes to the database pages in that period (something that is quite common) or that I am in the midst of something that is taking several days to complete.
(2) I often focus on particular regions of the British Isles. Regions covered so far include Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Fife, Herefordshire, Highlands & Islands, Jersey, Kent & Sussex. I have also worked through Hunter's 'Familiae Minorum Gentium' ("FMG", which looks mainly at Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire & Yorkshire) and Griffith's Pedigrees (which concentrates on Anglesey & Carnarvonshire). I am presently working through Vivian's work on the Visitations to Devon. I will then go through his work on the Visitations to Cornwall.
(3) I sometimes focus on 'multi-branch families', many of which were Scots who seem to have had more of a tradition of documenting junior cadet branches than the English did and who are normally easier to follow than Welsh & Irish families. So far I have worked on the Frasers, Hamiltons, Leslies, MacDonalds, Mackenzie, Munros & Sinclairs. I am part-way through (temporarily-halted) reviews of the Campbells, Carews & Montgomerys. Other families to be covered in due course will probably include Bruce, Bulkeley, & Leigh. I am still stuck on the Staffords so any suggestions on them would be welcome.
A. On (rare) occasion I will work on Sections I & II, the Ancient and Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database (British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see the note above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): 01.02 BZmisc27 02.02 Blackall1 04.02 BZmisc27 06.02 CZmisc17 07.02 Trevelyan1 08.02 CZmisc17 09.02 Clifford03 10.02 Collins02, CZmisc06 15.02 Cotton02 19.02 Courtenay2 20.02 Courtenay3 02.03 Davy01 07.03 DZmisc12 14.03 Drewe2 15.03 Drewe1 16.03 EZmisc02 17.03 Moore08 18.03 EZmisc05 20.03 FZmisc08 21.03 Gilbert04 25.03 Handcock01, HZmisc16 30.03 Holand4, HZmisc16 31.03 Hamlyn1 13.04 Kirkham1 15.04 LZmisc02 16.04 LZmisc09 17.04 Luttrell2, WZmisc11 19.04 Lynne1 21.04 Martin05.
D. See The Stirnet Portal to find out how easy it is to get a free link from this Families Database to your own web site. If you don't have your own site at the moment but would like one, we may be able to help you with that also.