Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 19 JUNE 2017
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Click here for a page which lists in date order the pages which were uploaded in earlier years. The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years page, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to May 2017 (excluding the draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards, and FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in or just above note A below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with very few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
Number of pages added
|(excludes Draft and Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded so far in 2017: 162
03.01 Cleaver1, Peach1 04.01 Hussey06, Lake02 07.01 Butler20 08.01 Streatfeild2 09.01 Hervey07, Hervey08 10.01 Butts1 11.01 Bettenham1, Evering1 12.01 Cage1, Hawkins04 13.01 Whitaker2 14.01 Ingham1 15.01 Hemsworth1 19.01 Turner05 20.01 Randolph1 21.01 Hall07, Lynch02 25.01 Lamb1, Lamb2 27.01 Burges1, FZmisc08, Kingsley1 28.01 Ayleworth1 29.01 KZmisc05 30.01 Porter04 31.01 Carr04, Cocks2, Davison2 At 31.01.17: 64+94+5487=5645 01.02 Maplisden1 02.02 Waterhouse03 06.02 Brett1 09.02 Espinasse1, Paynter1 12.02 Paynter2 13.02 Gilbert04 14.02 Gilborne1, Lambert06 15.02 Peak3 18.02 Lethieullier1 19.02 Chambers1 26.02 Morland1 27.02 Rolt1 28.02 Whitton1 At 28.02.17: 64+94+5502=5660 01.03 Withen1 02.03 Nevinson1 05.03 Farnaby1 06.03 Selwyn1, Selwyn2, Selwyn3 07.03 Nourse1, TZmisc09, Weyland1 08.03 Watts01, Watts02 09.03 Dixon02 13.03 Gibbons3 14.03 Carter02 15.03 Curtis03, Rolfe1 16.03 Goldsmith1 22.03 Bromley3, Chester3, Gastrell1 23.03 Astry1, Collins02, Pope02 25.03 HZmisc16 30.03 [old Boys01, Boys02 & Boys03 renamed Boys05, Boys01 & Boys06 respectively] Boys02, Boys03, Boys04 31.07 Dyne1 At 31.03.17: 64+94+5530=5688 01.04 Gipps1 11.04 Fonnereau1 12.04 [old QZmisc02 renamed Quicke1] QZmisc02 13.04 Bufkin1, Fogge1 14.04 Cooke07, Lovelace1 18.04 Hooper1 21.04 Jenkin1 23.04 Kemp02, Kemp03 24.04 Gillow1 26.04 Chute3 At 30.04.17: 64+94+5543=5701 02.05 Dumaresq01, Dumaresq02, Dumaresq03, Dumaresq04, Dumaresq05 03.05 AZmisc12, Nicholls04 05.05 Carteret2, Carteret3, Carteret4 06.05 LeMaistre1, Malet4 07.05 Langlois1, Lempriere1, Lempriere2, Lempriere3, Lempriere4 08.05 Estur1, Messervy1, Messervy2, Messervy3 09.05 Bandinel1, Bisson1, Collas1 10.05 Benest1, Durell1, Durell2, Filleul1 11.05 Gabourel1, Gerveis2, Gibaut1, GZmisc11 12.05 Gosset1 13.05 Hampton2 14.05 Janvrin1, LaCloche1 16.05 LeBreton1 17.05 LeCouteur1, LeCouteur2, LeMontais1 18.05 LeGallais1, Perrin1 19.05 Lerrier1, Valpy1, Valpy2 20.05 DeSteCroix1, Major1, Marett1, Marett2, Mauger1 21.05 Millais1, Morant2 22.05 [Payne01 renamed Payn3] Orange1, Payn1, Payn2 23.05 Perchard1, Pinel1 24.05 Pipon1 25.05 Poingdestre1 26.05 Richardson07 27.05 Seale1 28.05 Vaudin1 29.05 Vibert1 31.05 BZmisc26 At 31.05.17: 64+94+5607=5765 04.06 Bertram2, Boudier1 08.06 LeCronier1 11.06 Balfour5, Balfour6 14.06 Arnot1, Arnot2, Arnot3, Arnot4, Arnot5 19.06 Naesmyth1.
PCBG notes (last updated 14.06.17)
(1) My main 'theme' at the moment remains working through sources that focus on particular regions of the British Isles, seeing where this takes me. Having recently completed working on J. Bertrand Payne's 'Armorial of Jersey' (1859), which focuses on Jersey in the Channel Islands, I have just started working on a number of sources that focus on Fife and/or various of the most important (for genealogists) families of Fife. In the past I have had sessions on sources that focus on Buckinghamshire, Herefordshire, Kent & Sussex and have also worked through Hunter's 'Familiae Minorum Gentium' ("FMG") which looks mainly at Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire & Yorkshire.
(2) As for my reviews of various 'multi-branch families', I have so far completed work on the Hamiltons & Leslies and am part-way through (temporarily-halted) reviews of the Campbells, Carews & Montgomerys. Other families to be covered in due course will probably include Bruce, Bulkeley, Fermor, Leigh & Petre. I am still stuck on the Staffords so any suggestions on them would be welcome.
A. On (rare) occasion I will work on Sections I & II, the Ancient and Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database (British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see the note above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): 09.04 Juxon1, Thornhill03, White01 10.04 Seymour07, Williams08 13.04 Guldeford1 16.04 Courthope1 18.04 Sydney1, Sydney2 19.04 Bosville01 23.04 SZmisc17 24.04 Fletcher04, Ryder1, TZmisc09 05.05 Carteret1, SZmisc16 08.05 Anketel1 09.05 DZmisc11 10.05 DZmisc03 11.05 Messervy3 12.05 BZmisc25 16.05 LZmisc04 17.05 Carteret4, LeMaistre1 19.05 GZmisc11 20.05 LZmisc04 21.05 DZmisc03 26.05 RZmisc10 09.06 DZmisc04, LZmisc04 11.06 Balfour1, Balfour2, Balfour3, Balfour4.
C. Latest non-trivial additions to or major amendments of the draft & temporary pages linked to/from the Can You Help? page: 10.04 Tmp09 12.04 Temp19 17.05 Temp60 21.05 Temp61 24.05 Tmp11 14.06 [old SZmisc99 renamed Sibbald1].
D. See The Stirnet Portal to find out how easy it is to get a free link from this Families Database to your own web site. If you don't have your own site at the moment but would like one, we may be able to help you with that also.