Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 22 JANUARY 2020
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Click here for a page which lists in date order the pages which were uploaded in earlier years. The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years page, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to December 2019 (excluding the draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards, and FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in or just above note A below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with very few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
|Total at 31.12.19 = 64+94+6162 = 6320 (excludes Draft and Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded late in 2019
08.11 Whelton1 09.11 Lewknor2 10.11 Keynes1, Wyrley1, Wyrley2 15.11 Holden03, Rose06 16.11 Shuckburgh2, SZmisc20 17.11 Bustard1 18.11 Hervey09 22.11 Parkhurst1 At 30.11.19: 64+94+6146=6304 06.12 Clarke07, Plummer02 09.12 Montgomery10, Montgomery11 10.12 Montgomery12 13.12 Montgomery13, Sumner1 15.12 [Old Reade3 renamed Reade1, previous Reade1 renamed Reade3] Reade6 16.12 Witts1 17.12 Pryme1 19.12 Clapham2 21.12 Silvertop1 22.12 Galbraith1, Galbraith2 26.12 Dagge1 27.12 Swallow1
New pages uploaded so far in 2020: 14
01.01 Sutcliffe1 04.01 Lockton2 05.01 Bent1, Marsh01, Marsh02, Marsh03 07.01 Marsh04 09.01 Hicks2 10.01 [old Burgh02 renamed Burgh11] Burgh02 11.01 Burgh12, Lynch03, Staunton03 22.01 Quarles1, Quarles2.
PCBG notes (last updated 10.01.20)
(1) I often focus on particular regions of the British Isles. Regions covered so far include Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Devon, Fife, Herefordshire, Highlands & Islands, Jersey, Kent, Northamptonshire, Northumberland & Sussex. I have also worked through Hunter's 'Familiae Minorum Gentium' ("FMG", which looks mainly at Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire & Yorkshire) and Griffith's Pedigrees (which concentrates on Anglesey & Carnarvonshire). In each case my work has been reasonably comprehensive but in some cases I have left work on certain families to a later date. The next region to be covered will probably be Renfrewshire.
(2) I sometimes focus on 'multi-branch families', many of which were Scots who seem to have had more of a tradition of documenting junior cadet branches than the English did and who are normally easier to follow than Welsh & Irish families. So far I have worked on the Carews, Frasers, Hamiltons, Leslies, MacDonalds, Mackenzie, Montgomerys, Munros & Sinclairs.
* I have just started work on a review of the Burgh (Burke, Bourke, etc.) family group.
* I aim to complete my review of the Campbells, which was started but left incomplete in 2015, sometime in 2020.
* Other families to be covered in due course will probably include Bruce, Bulkeley, Leigh & Ogle. I am still stuck on the Staffords so any suggestions on them would be welcome.
(3) Being apparently quiet for a while may mean that I have made only minor changes to the database pages in that period (something that is quite common; sometimes minor changes can take longer than new pages) or that I am in the midst of something that is taking several days to complete (not uncommon) or, of course, that I have not worked on the site recently.
A. On (rare) occasion I will work on Sections I & II, the Ancient and Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database (British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see the note above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): 02.11 MZmisc08 09.11 Lewknor1 10.11 AZmisc10, Colley2 13.11 DZmisc12, FitzWalter1 15.11 Spencer01 16.11 LZmisc12, Shuckburgh1 17.11 Risley1 03.12 Adams03, EZmisc03, NZmisc05 08.12 LZmisc12, Plowden01 09.12 Montgomery03, 10.12 Montgomery07, 12.12. Montgomery05 15.12 Reade1 16.12 Smith26, Wylde2 18.12 Benson03, 19.12 Clapham1 24.12 Hopper1, Vivian03 27.12 Perrott3, Radford1, SZmisc20 03.01 Portal1 04.01 BZmisc28 06.01 CZmisc06 09.01 Hicks1 10.01 Burgh01.
D. See The Stirnet Portal to find out how easy it is to get a free link from this Families Database to your own web site. If you don't have your own site at the moment but would like one, we may be able to help you with that also.