'Elrington1'Index links to: Lead / Letter DRAFT
Families covered: Elrington of Birch Hall, Elrington of Hackney, Elrington of Theydon Bois, Elrington (Erlington) of Willesden
This family is still being researched. It has NOT yet been launched formally into the Database but is shown here as DRAFT in the hope that one or more visitors to the site will contribute information that will enable us to develop this page to an acceptable standard.
First displayed: 12.10.15Last updated: 12.10.15Back to 'Can You Help ?'
|(1) The absence of clear connection between Visitation (Essex, 1558) and Visitation (Essex, 1634) has led us to speculate that there were some omissions & naming errors in the 1558 Visitation. Researching this family is not helped by the fact that the name of Elrington appears often to have been spelt as 'Erlington' (used by the 1558 Visitation, although the Harleian editor does show both the main spellings in the title) whilst Elderington & Elderton appear to be other variants.
(2) VCH (Essex, vol 4, 'Theydon Bois: Church') mentions that Edward Elrington ("the last lessee of the rectory under the priory") died 1559; his son/heir Edward died in 1578, succeeded by another Edward who acquired Theydon Bois manor in 1616. VCH (Essex, vol 4, 'Theydon Bois: Manors') reports that the last Edward d 1618 and was succeeded by his son Edward. It also reports that "The Elrington family was settled at Birch Hall in Theydon Bois before they acquired the manor in 1616".
(3) HoP ("Edward Elrington") identifies that Edward of Birch Hall who d 1578 as 1st son of Edward of Birch Hall and grandson of ...
|Sir John Erlington of Shordiche ("treasurer of the Household to Edward IV" (who r. 1461-1483)|
|m. Margaret Echingham (dau/coheir of Sir Thomas Echingham, widow of William Blunt (son/heir of Lord Mountjoye))|
|(4) Visitation (Essex, 1558) shows only 1 son of Sir John & Margaret, a "Rowland or Edward Erlington of Thoydon Boyce in Essex, of the privie chamber to K. H. ye 8" and shows him as father (by "Agnes mar. Edw. Combes") of Symond who m. Alice, dau of John Middleton, m2. Sir Gilles Allington. Visitation (Essex, 1558) also shows Symond as chief butler to King Edward VI.
(5) HoP ("Thomas Elrington") identifies the Thomas (d c08.1566) who m. Beatrix, dau of Sir Edward Bray, as 1st son of Thomas of Willesden (d 1523-4) by Alice, dau/coheir of John Middleton of London. It also identifies his heir as Edward (b 1548-9) and Edward Elrington of London & Birch Hall (d 1559) as his kinsman.
(6) Visitation (Sussex, 1530+1633-4, 'Echingham') shows Sir John & Margaret as parents of Edward & Anne (m. Edward Combes).
(7) According to 'Testamenta Vetusta' (Nicholas Harris Nicolas, vol 1, 1826, 'Sir John Elrington', p347), Sir John's will mentions his wife Margaret, his stepdaughter Margaret Blount, his daughter Anne, his eldest son Simon, his younger sons (John, Thomas & Edward) and his daughter Joane, "wife of John Colte".
|1.||Rowland (sb Simon?) Erlington|
|m. Agnes (m. Edward Combes?) possible confusion with Rowland's sister Anne below?|
|B.||Symond (sb Thomas?) Erlington of Willesden (Middlesex)|
|(1) Visitation (Essex, 1558) shows Symond as chief butler to King Edward VI (who r. 1547-1553).
(2) HoP ("Thomas Elrington") identifies the Thomas (d c08.1566) who m. Beatrix, dau of Sir Edward Bray, as 1st son of Thomas of Willesden (d 1523-4) by Alice, dau/coheir of John Middleton of London. It also identifies his heir as Edward (b 1548-9) and Edward Elrington of London & Birch Hall (d 1559) as his kinsman.
|m. Alice Midleton (dau of John Midleton of London, sister/heir of Thomas, m2. Sir Giles Allington)|
|i.||Thomas Erlington of Willesden (b c1520, d c08.1566, MP)|
|m. Bridgett or Beatrix Bray (dau of Sir Edward Bray of Surrey)|
|a.||Edward Erlington of Wethersfield, Essex (b 1548-9)|
|m. Margaret Spencer (dau of Sir John Spencer of Northamptonshire, relict of Sir Gilles Allington)|
|(1)||Thomas Elrington of Bulbroke, Essex (3rd son)|
|The following comes from 'Miscellaneous Essex Pedigrees' (Walter Metcalfe, 1878, 'Elrington').|
|m. Frances Cooke of Kent|
|(A)+||issue - Thomas, John, Elizabeth|
|(2)+||other issue (a 1558?) - John, Edward, Maria|
|b.||Thomas Erlington of Hackney, Middlesex|
|m. Elizabeth Turbervyle (dau of George Turbervyle of Bere Regis)|
|'Middlesex Pedigrees' (Richard Mundy, 1914, 'Elrington of Hackney') shows that Thomas (possibly son of Thomas of Hackney by Issabell, dau of Thomas Thwaits of Lownd) & Elizabeth were parents of ...|
|(1)+||issue - George, Henery, Nicholas, Robert, Thomas|
|c.+||other issue - Maria, Bridget|
|m. (Edward) Bray (d 1581, son/heir of Edward Bray)|
|iii.+||other issue (dsp) - Symond, John|
|2.||Edward Erlington of Birch Hall in Theydon Bois, Essex (d 07.05.1515, 4th son?)|
|HoP ("Edward Elrington", d 1559) identifies this Edward as "a younger son".|
|m. Beatrix Shirley (dau of Ralph Shirley of Wiston)|
|A.||Edward Erlington of London & Birch Hall (b 1496/7, d 06.02.1559, ranger of Waltham Forest, MP)|
|This Edward is the first mentioned by Visitation (Essex, 1634) which identifies him as "Treasurer of the Navy".|
|m. (by 1527) Grace (illegitimate dau of Sir Thomas Seymour (Lord Mayor) of London, Saffron Walden & Hoxton)|
|i.||Edward Erlington of Birch Hall (b 1528, d 1578, ranger of Waltham Forest, MP)|
|m. (by 1565) Dorothy Sadler (dau of Sir Ralph Sadler (Sadleir))|
|a.||Edward Erlington of Birch Hall & Theydon Bois Manor (d 1618)|
|m. Sibell Haddock (dau/coheir of Thomas Haddock of Buriton)|
|(1)||Edward Erlington of Birch Hall (a 1634)|
|m. Anne Shoreton of Norwich (sister of Sir Augustin Sotherton_|
|(A)+||issue (a 1634) - Edward (b c1633), Anne, Frances, Dorothy, Mary|
|b.+||other issue - Francis (a 1634), 2 other sons, 1 daughter|
|ii.||Mary Erlington probably of this generation|
|m. Richard Cutt (d 16.08.1592)|
|ii.+||other issue - Rowland, 3 other sons, 2 other daughters|
|3.||Anne Erlington possible confusion with Anne's sister-in-law above?|
|m. Edward Combes|
|4.||Joane (sb Elizabeth?) Erlington|
|m. John Colte (d 1521)|
|5.+||other issue - John, Thomas|
Main source(s): Visitation (Essex, 1558, 'Elrington, Erlington'), Visitation (Essex, 1634, 'Elrington') with input/support as reported above
Back to top of page