Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 20 NOVEMBER 2017
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Click here for a page which lists in date order the pages which were uploaded in earlier years. The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years page, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to October 2017 (excluding the draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards, and FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in or just above note A below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with very few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
Number of pages added
|(excludes Draft and Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded so far in 2017: 246
03.01 Cleaver1, Peach1 04.01 Hussey06, Lake02 07.01 Butler20 08.01 Streatfeild2 09.01 Hervey07, Hervey08 10.01 Butts1 11.01 Bettenham1, Evering1 12.01 Cage1, Hawkins04 13.01 Whitaker2 14.01 Ingham1 15.01 Hemsworth1 19.01 Turner05 20.01 Randolph1 21.01 Hall07, Lynch02 25.01 Lamb1, Lamb2 27.01 Burges1, FZmisc08, Kingsley1 28.01 Ayleworth1 29.01 KZmisc05 30.01 Porter04 31.01 Carr04, Cocks2, Davison2 At 31.01.17: 64+94+5487=5645 01.02 Maplisden1 02.02 Waterhouse03 06.02 Brett1 09.02 Espinasse1, Paynter1 12.02 Paynter2 13.02 Gilbert04 14.02 Gilborne1, Lambert06 15.02 Peak3 18.02 Lethieullier1 19.02 Chambers1 26.02 Morland1 27.02 Rolt1 28.02 Whitton1 At 28.02.17: 64+94+5502=5660 01.03 Withen1 02.03 Nevinson1 05.03 Farnaby1 06.03 Selwyn1, Selwyn2, Selwyn3 07.03 Nourse1, TZmisc09, Weyland1 08.03 Watts01, Watts02 09.03 Dixon02 13.03 Gibbons3 14.03 Carter02 15.03 Curtis03, Rolfe1 16.03 Goldsmith1 22.03 Bromley3, Chester3, Gastrell1 23.03 Astry1, Collins02, Pope02 25.03 HZmisc16 30.03 [old Boys01, Boys02 & Boys03 renamed Boys05, Boys01 & Boys06 respectively] Boys02, Boys03, Boys04 31.07 Dyne1 At 31.03.17: 64+94+5530=5688 01.04 Gipps1 11.04 Fonnereau1 12.04 [old QZmisc02 renamed Quicke1] QZmisc02 13.04 Bufkin1, Fogge1 14.04 Cooke07, Lovelace1 18.04 Hooper1 21.04 Jenkin1 23.04 Kemp02, Kemp03 24.04 Gillow1 26.04 Chute3 At 30.04.17: 64+94+5543=5701 02.05 Dumaresq01, Dumaresq02, Dumaresq03, Dumaresq04, Dumaresq05 03.05 AZmisc12, Nicholls04 05.05 Carteret2, Carteret3, Carteret4 06.05 LeMaistre1, Malet4 07.05 Langlois1, Lempriere1, Lempriere2, Lempriere3, Lempriere4 08.05 Estur1, Messervy1, Messervy2, Messervy3 09.05 Bandinel1, Bisson1, Collas1 10.05 Benest1, Durell1, Durell2, Filleul1 11.05 Gabourel1, Gerveis2, Gibaut1, GZmisc11 12.05 Gosset1 13.05 Hampton2 14.05 Janvrin1, LaCloche1 16.05 LeBreton1 17.05 LeCouteur1, LeCouteur2, LeMontais1 18.05 LeGallais1, Perrin1 19.05 Lerrier1, Valpy1, Valpy2 20.05 DeSteCroix1, Major1, Marett1, Marett2, Mauger1 21.05 Millais1, Morant2 22.05 [Payne01 renamed Payn3] Orange1, Payn1, Payn2 23.05 Perchard1, Pinel1 24.05 Pipon1 25.05 Poingdestre1 26.05 Richardson07 27.05 Seale1 28.05 Vaudin1 29.05 Vibert1 31.05 BZmisc26 At 31.05.17: 64+94+5607=5765 04.06 Bertram2, Boudier1 08.06 LeCronier1 11.06 Balfour5, Balfour6 14.06 Arnot1, Arnot2, Arnot3, Arnot4, Arnot5 19.06 Naesmyth1 29.06 Martin10, Smith25 30.06 Scattergood1 At 30.06.17: 64+94+5621=5779 04.07 Mercer2 07.07 Blackadder1 09.07 Jeans1, Moore12 10.07 Bell01 12.07 Hope03 16.07 Wood11 17.07 Jermyn1, Rushbrook1 18.07 Craigie1 19.07 Ayton1, Ayton2 26.07 Bates1 27.07 Ladbroke1 28.07 Lisle03, Lisle04 30.07 Hunter04 31.07 Pudsey2, Staunton02 At 31.07.17: 64+94+5640=5798 01.08 Greswolde1 07.08 Strang1 21.08 Chamberlain03 28.08 Freeman02, Swaine1 At 31.08.17: 64+94+5645=5803 13.09 Bell02 14.09 Strangman1 15.09 Cox1, Moore13 16.09 Anstruther02 17.09 Inglis1, Inglis2 18.09 Munro03 20.09 Home07, Munro04, Munro05, Tregonwell1 25.09 Munro06, Munro07, Munro08, Munro09, Munro10, Munro11, Munro12, Smith26 26.09 Childers1 30.09 Bayne1, Bayne2, Bayne3 At 30.09.17: 64+94+5669=5827 01.10 MacDonald08 05.10 Lamont1, Lamont2 06.10 [old Arthur1 renamed Arthur2] Arthur1 07.10 Hugford1 08.10 Beaufoy1 09.10 Ross06, Ross07 10.10 Ross08, Ross09 11.10 [old Ross05 renamed Ross10] Ross05 21.10 Matheson01, Matheson02, Matheson03, Matheson04 26.10 MacDonald09 30.10 MacDonald10 31.10 MacDonald11 At 31.10.17: 64+94+5687=5845 01.11 MacLeod03 02.11 MacLeod04, MacLeod05 03.11 MacLeod06 04.11 MacLeod07, MacLeod08 07.11 Mackenzie12 08.11 Mackenzie13 17.11 Mackenzie14, Mackenzie15, Mackenzie16, Mackenzie17 19.11 Mackenzie18 20.11 Mackenzie19, Mackenzie20.
PCBG notes (last updated 20.11.17)
(1) As reported elsewhere in the site, I am presently working on 'upgrading' the site from http to https, with a few other improvements being considered also, and am not sure how long this will take. This might distract me from working on the database from time to time but that will probably only be for a few days at a time.
(2) From time to time I focus on particular regions of the British Isles. Regions covered so far have included Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Fife, Herefordshire, Jersey, Kent & Sussex. I have also worked through Hunter's 'Familiae Minorum Gentium' ("FMG", which looks mainly at Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire & Yorkshire) and Griffith's Pedigrees (which concentrates on Anglesey & Carnarvonshire). I am presently working on the Highlands & Islands of Scotland which covers quite a large area (and many well-documented families) and so may take some time! After that I will see what else I have to do in Vivian's works on Devon & Cornwall and then I may have a go at the monumental 'History of Northumberland'.
(3) I sometimes focus on 'multi-branch families', many of which were Scots who seem to have had more of a tradition of genealogical research than the English and are often easier to follow than Welsh & Irish families. Having just finished working on Mackenzie families, I am just about to start working on the Camerons. I have previously worked on the Hamiltons, Leslies, MacDonalds & Munros and am part-way through (temporarily-halted) reviews of the Campbells, Carews & Montgomerys. Other families to be covered in due course will probably include Bruce, Bulkeley, Fermor, Leigh & Petre. I am still stuck on the Staffords so any suggestions on them would be welcome.
A. On (rare) occasion I will work on Sections I & II, the Ancient and Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database (British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see the note above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): 02.09 GZmisc11, Muirhead1 03.09 Borthwick2 14.09 CZmisc16, IZmisc02, Ramsay03 15.09 Wilmot01 16.09 Anstruther01 18.09 Munro01, Munro02 03.10 Scott11 09.10 Ross01, Ross02 10.10 Ross02, Ross06 11.10 Ross10 26.10 MacDonald01, MacDonald04, MacDonald07 27.10 Jones03, MZmisc06, RZmisc10, Trye1 30.10 MacDonald02, MacDonald03, MacDonald07 31.10 MacDonald06, MacDonald08 01.11 MacLeod01, MacLeod02 05.11 Scots2 07.11 Mackenzie01, Mackenzie02, Mackenzie09 14.11 Mackenzie08 17.11 Mackenzie03, Mackenzie04, Mackenzie05 18.11 Mackenzie07 19.11 Mackenzie06 20.11 Mackenzie11.
D. See The Stirnet Portal to find out how easy it is to get a free link from this Families Database to your own web site. If you don't have your own site at the moment but would like one, we may be able to help you with that also.