Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 19 FEBRUARY 2019
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Click here for a page which lists in date order the pages which were uploaded in earlier years. The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years page, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to January 2019 (excluding the draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards, and FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in or just above note A below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with very few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
|(excludes Draft and Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded late last year
01.12 Tucker02, Tucker03, Tyack1, Vacy1 02.12 VZmisc03, Webber1 04.12 White10, Williams21 05.12 Carthew1 10.12 Courtenay7, Crabb1 11.12 Haweis1 12.12 Kemp04 13.12 Lawrence03 14.12 Lyne1 15.12 Morshead1 16.12 Nicolas1 17.12 Pender1, SZmisc19 18.12 Symons1, Symons2, ZZmisc04 19.12 Worthevale1 21.12 Ekins1 22.12 Tregoz2 23.12 Lyon04 24.12 Chetwode2 At 31.12.18: 64+94+5948=6106.
New pages uploaded so far in 2019: 24
02.01 Blake05, Ferrier2 04.01 Pecche1, Underhill1 05.01 Glynne6 08.01 [old Cockburn2 & draft Cockburn3 renamed Cockburn3 & draft CockburnX respectively] Cockburn2, Vipont1 09.01 [old Cockburn1, Cockburn2 & Cockburn3 renamed Cockburn01, Cockburn02 & Cockburn03 respectively] Cockburn04 18.01 Cockburn05, Cockburn06, Cockburn07 27.01 Burgh10 At 31.01.19: 64+94+5960=6118 07.02 Glanville04 08.02 Rawley03 11.02 Knyvett3, Thorpe02 13.02 Hele3, Treby1 16.02 LeQuesne1, Neel1 18.02 Turgis1, Urrey1 19.02 [old Tregonwell1 renamed Tregonwell2] Tregonwell1, TZmisc12.
PCBG notes (last updated 05.01.19)
(1) I often focus on particular regions of the British Isles. Regions covered so far include Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Devon, Fife, Herefordshire, Highlands & Islands, Jersey, Kent & Sussex. I have also worked through Hunter's 'Familiae Minorum Gentium' ("FMG", which looks mainly at Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire & Yorkshire) and Griffith's Pedigrees (which concentrates on Anglesey & Carnarvonshire). Over the next few weeks I shall be finishing off my reviews of Vivian's works on the Visitations to Devon & Cornwall and also spending some time catching up with correspondence.
(2) I sometimes focus on 'multi-branch families', many of which were Scots who seem to have had more of a tradition of documenting junior cadet branches than the English did and who are normally easier to follow than Welsh & Irish families. So far I have worked on the Frasers, Hamiltons, Leslies, MacDonalds, Mackenzie, Munros & Sinclairs. Back in 2015 I started but never completed reviews of the Campbells, Carews & Montgomerys. I shall complete those reviews (or at least bring them to an end) during 2019. Other families to be covered in due course will probably include Bruce, Bulkeley, & Leigh. I am still stuck on the Staffords so any suggestions on them would be welcome.
(3) Being apparently quiet for a while may mean that I have made only minor changes to the database pages in that period (something that is quite common; sometimes minor changes can take longer than new pages) or that I am in the midst of something that is taking several days to complete (not uncommon) or that I have not worked on the site at all.
A. On (rare) occasion I will work on Sections I & II, the Ancient and Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database (British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see the note above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): 01.12 Roche01 04.12 AZmisc03, Bonython1, Yorke03 10.12 Courtenay4, Williams21 12.12 JZmisc03 14.12 TZmisc11 16.12 BZmisc29 17.12 Pearce1, Petre1, Petre2 20.12 Bennett05, Bevill1, Marke1, MZmisc14 21.12 Green04 22.12 Fursdon1 23.12 Lutton1 24.12 Chetwode1 27.12 Elliot02 31.12 Martin10 04.01 Osborne3, Strode1 05.01 Glynne5 06.01 Kendall1, Kendall2 07.01 VZmisc01 08.01 Cockburn1, Cockburn3 18.01 Cockburn03 25.01 Petit1 27.01 Elphinstone5 07.02 Glanville03, SZmisc19 08.02 Rawley01, Rous03, RZmisc02 10.02 Killigrew1, Killigrew2, Knyvett1, Knyvett2 11.02 Thorpe01 13.02 Hele1, Hele2 14.02 Keate1 15.02 BZmisc29, OZmisc02 16.02 Bluett1, TZmisc11 17.02 Brown05 19.02 Urrey1.
C. Latest non-trivial additions to or major amendments of Draft & Temporary pages linked to/from the Can You Help? page: 22.12 Tmp13 23.12 Tmp13 27.12 Tmp13 07.01 MZmisc99, Temp27 08.01 CockburnX 04.02 Tmp13.
D. See The Stirnet Portal to find out how easy it is to get a free link from this Families Database to your own web site. If you don't have your own site at the moment but would like one, we may be able to help you with that also.