Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 23 MARCH 2023
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Pages uploaded in earlier years are shown, in date order, here (2002-2011), here (2012-2021) and here (2022). The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years pages, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to February 2023 (excluding the many draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards & FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in the "PCBG notes" given below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
|1,919||1,331||1,162||703||193||306||261||231||214||331||225||223||Total at 31.12.22 = 64+96+6939 = 7099 (excluding the many Draft & Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded so far in 2023: 48
01.01 Burdett4, Estwick1 02.01 Holden04 03.01 Maitland05 05.01 [old Fermor3 renamed Farmer01] Farmer02 07.01 Levinge2 16.01 Banaster04 17.01 Cooper06, Palmer08 20.01 Charnell1, Charnell2, Charnell3, MZmisc15 21.01 Wilmot03, Wilmot04 22.01 Kendall3 23.01 Ludford1, Rowe04 24.01 HZmisc21 27.01 Mann02 29.01 Oneby1 31.01 Mason06 At 31.01.23: 64+96+6961 = 7121 11.02 LeGross1, Western1 13.02 Hutchinson04 14.02 Moresby1 16.02 Neale2 17.02 CZmisc23 25.02 Swillington1 26.02 Sergeant1 At 28.02.23: 64+96+6969 = 7129 01.03 Beler1, Beler2 02.03 Folvile1 06.03 Pate1 07.03 Bennett06 09.03 Palmes3 10.03 Duffield1, Meautis1 11.03 Segrave3 13.03 [Old Digby02 renamed Digby04] Digby02, Digby03, Digby05 14.03 [Old Sherard2 renamed Sherard3] Sherard2 16.03 Christopher1 21.03 [Old Norwich1 renamed Norwich2] Holt04, Norwich1 23.03 Burrow1, Palmer09.
PCBG notes (last updated 14.02.22 (yes: 2022!))
(1) I have a large backlog of things to work through Ïat the moment, not least:
* Catching-up with correspondence. I have problems keeping up with the emails I receive and do apologise to those of you who are still waiting for a response from me. For more on this, please see the Contact Us page.sss
* Working through several Long-term projects (see that page).
* Trying to upgrade the huge amount of data in Draft & temporary pages: Can you help? so that it may be moved into 'the database proper'.
(2) Being apparently quiet for a while may mean that I have made only minor changes to the database pages in that period (something that is quite common; sometimes reviewing old pages & making minor changes can take longer than producing new pages) or that I am in the midst of a major project that is taking several days to complete (also quite common) or, of course, that I have simply not worked on the site recently.
A. Only on rare occasions will I work on Sections I & II of the database, the Ancient & Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database ('British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern'). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see "We welcome suggestions ..." above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): 02.01 SZmisc22, Vincent5, WZmisc13 03.01 Maitland01 05.01 CZmisc22 16.01 JZmisc01 21.01 Wilmot01 28.01 Sanders02 10.02 Shirley1 11.02 Harman1 14.04 Cobham01 16.02 WZmisc13 18.02 RZmisc07 19.02 GZmisc14 20.02 Smith08 21.02 FZmisc05 22.02 HZmisc21 26.02 Lacy3, RZmisc05 13.03 Digby01, Digby04 14.03 Sherard1, Sherard3 16.03 HZmisc21 20.03 BZmisc20, Conyers05, CZmisc23, Goodman2 21.03 Conyers04, Norwich2 23.03 Bale1, Mulsho1.
C. Latest non-trivial additions/changes to Draft & Temporary pages linked to/from the Can You Help? page (excluding movement of data into the main pages of the database): 17.01 Temp31 23.01 Temp43 20.02 Tmp30, 21.02 Avenel1 16.03 Hawberk1.