Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 04 AUGUST 2020
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Click here for a page which lists in date order the pages which were uploaded in earlier years. The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years page, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to July 2020 (excluding the draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards, and FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in the "PCBG notes" given below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with very few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
|Total at 31.12.19 = 64+94+6162 = 6320 (excluding the many Draft & Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded so far in 2020: 190
01.01 Sutcliffe1 04.01 Lockton2 05.01 Bent1, Marsh01, Marsh02, Marsh03 07.01 Marsh04 09.01 Hicks2 10.01 [old Burgh02 renamed Burgh11] Burgh02 11.01 Burgh12, Lynch03, Staunton03 22.01 Quarles1, Quarles2 28.01 Ronayne1 30.01 Burgh13 At 31.01.20: 64+94+6178=6336 02.02 Macartney1, Macartney2 03.02 Maltby2 04.02 Jobson1 05.02 Tyndale2 06.02 Burgh14, Burgh15 09.02 Jonine1 10.02 Burgh16 11.02 Burgh17 12.02 Burgh18, Burgh19 15.02 Ashby03, Burgh20 16.02 Dannet1, Elmerugge1, Fromonds1 17.02 Penoyre1 18.02 [old Burgh08 & Burgh07 renamed Burgh07 & Burgh08 respectively] 19.02 Fulham1 27.02 Percy05 28.02 Rookwood1, Rookwood2 At 29.02.20: 64+94+6200=6358 01.03 Warham1 02.03 Aughton1, Puttenham1 03.03 Gardiner2 08.03 Wales78 17.03 Brerewood1, Morgell1 19.03 Gamul2, Prescott1, Weston06 20.03 Currie1, Raikes1, Raikes2 22.03 Manley1, Manley2, Manley3 23.03 Ellis06 26.03 Holme03, Parker12 28.03 Cotton08, Falconer03 29.03 Amy1, Avery1 31.03 Lunsford1 At 31.03.20: 64+94+6224=6382 01.04 Juckes1 02.04 Edwards06 03.04 Hampton3 04.04 Basset6, Button2 05.04 AZmisc13, Gyll4, Honings1, Romney1 07.04 Drinkwater1, Drinkwater2 08.04 Dod04, Sparke1 10.04 Ward06, Ward07 11.04 Jenner1, Sawyer1 12.04 Jenner2, Rushton1, Rushton2 13.04 StAmand1 15.04 Backhouse2, BZmisc31, Pearson1 16.04 Hamer1 17.04 Howarth1 18.04 Thomlinson2, Poore1 20.04 Moyer1 21.04 Consett1, Hurleston1 22.04 Bunce1, Deincourt1, Lee10, Yoward1 24.04 Browning1, Ridler1, Smith28 25.04 Fowler04, Stephens02 26.04 Ball03 27.04 Maxwell08 28.04 [old Fulton1 renamed Fulton2] Crawford06, Fulton1 29.04 Call1, McCall1, Pole09, Prior1 30.04 Aylesbury1, Napier7 At 30.04.20: 64+94+6724=6432 01.05 Hall08 02.05 Hartstonge1, Price09 03.05 Cunningham11 06.05 Montgomery14, Shedden1 08.05 Patrick1 09.05 McAdam1 11.05 Crawford07 12.05 Campbell36, CZmisc20, Dunbar08 14.05 Kennedy05, Romilly1 16.05 Crawfurd08, Ker06 17.05 Cunningham12, Smith29 18.05 Crawford09, Cumming03 21.05 Heriot02 24.05 Wallace05, Ward08 25.05 Crawford10, Cunningham13, Milne1 26.05 Shaw07 28.05 Boyd3 31.05 Boyd4, Simpson03 At 31.05.20: 64+94+6304=6462 02.06 Howison1 04.06 Corry1, Kennedy06 06.06 Campbell37 07.06 Cathcart04, Mure04, Rankin1 08.06 Baillie4 09.06 Campbell38 10.06 Mitchell03 11.06 Farquhar1, Farquhar2 12.06 Aird1 13.06 Reid1, Turing1 14.06 Findlay1 17.06 Cunningham14 28.06 Urmston1 30.06 Colthurst2 At 30.06.20: 64+94+6323=6481 01.07 Malham1 02.07 Pudsey3 08.07 Mott1 09.07 Bewes1, Jones12, Yeatman1 10.07 Swainson1, Whetham1 13.07 Huxley2 15.07 Barrett03, Tufnell2 16.07 Smithett1 20.07 Key1, Mason02 21.07 Mason03 24.07 Huxley3 25.07 Jones13, Soady1 27.07 Wilson08 30.07 EZmisc06, Stone2 31.07 Izod1 At 31.07.20: 64+94+6345=6503 02.08 [old Pemberton01 & Pembeton02 renamed Pemberton03 & Pemberton04 respectively] Pemberton01, Pemberton02, Whitcombe1, Wydecombe1 03.08 Dale02, Willes1 04.08 Mason04.
PCBG notes (last updated 12.06.20)
(1) I often focus on particular regions of the British Isles. Regions covered so far include Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Devon, Fife, Herefordshire, Highlands & Islands, Jersey, Kent, Northamptonshire, Northumberland, Renfrewshire & Sussex. I have also worked through Hunter's 'Familiae Minorum Gentium' ("FMG", which looks mainly at Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire & Yorkshire) and Griffith's Pedigrees (which concentrates on Anglesey & Carnarvonshire). In each case my work has been reasonably comprehensive but in some cases I have left work on certain families to a later date.
* I am making good progress with my work on Ayrshire (partly started several years ago) but that is going slowly because it is being interrupted by other work, not least some catching-up with correspondence.
* After Ayrshire, Montgomeryshire, Radnorshire & Cleveland all beckon. However, I am not sure when I will have a chance to work on these as I have a large backlog of other things to work through at the moment, not least a drive to clear up some of the huge amount of data in the Draft & Temporary pages.
(2) I sometimes focus on 'multi-branch families', many of which were Scots who seem to have had more of a tradition of documenting junior cadet branches than the English did and who are normally easier to follow than Welsh & Irish families. So far I have worked on the Burghs, Carews, Frasers, Hamiltons, Leslies, MacDonalds, Mackenzies, Montgomerys, Munros & Sinclairs.
* I aim to complete my review of the Campbells before the end of the year. That review was started but left incomplete in 2015.
* I have yet to start work on a review on the Stewarts though some preparations were carried out in 2015.
* Other families to be covered in due course will probably include Bruce, Bulkeley, Leigh & Ogle.
* I am still stuck on the Staffords so any suggestions on them would be welcome.
(3) Being apparently quiet for a while may mean that I have made only minor changes to the database pages in that period (something that is quite common; sometimes minor changes can take longer than new pages) or that I am in the midst of something that is taking several days to complete (not uncommon) or, of course, that I have not worked on the site recently.
A. On (rare) occasion I will work on Sections I & II, the Ancient and Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database (British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see "We welcome suggestions ..." above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): 02.06 Crawford03, RZmisc03 03.06 Cunningham02, Cunningham11, Cunningham13, EZmisc03, GZmisc09, McZmisc01 04.06 Blair01 06.06 Boyle01, Brisbane01, Campbell36 10.06 Brown19, Rankin1 11.06 Gray2 13.06 Cunningham12, Duncan1 14.06 Cuninghame05, HZmisc18, WZmisc06 15.06 Arnot5 16.06 Cunningham04 19.06 Crawford03, Fletcher02, FZmisc08 20.06 Porterfield1 21.06 Cochrane02, WZmisc06 23.06 Craig01, Heriot02 28.06 Brabazon2 01.07 Colthurst2 02.07 Pudsey1 09.07 AZmisc13 16.07 Simpson03 18.07 BZmisc31, CZmisc20 24.07 Clifford04, LZmisc03 25.07 DZmisc01, MZmisc08 02.08 CZmisc20 03.08 AZmisc13.
C. Latest non-trivial additions to Draft & Temporary pages linked to/from the Can You Help? page: 05.06 Temp04 09.06 Temp05 12.06 Temp05 15.06 Temp08 18.06 Temp08 20.06 Tmp01 22.06 Fairlie1 30.06 Temp09 08.07 Tmp19 09.07 Tmp19 10.07 Tmp19 12.07 Cumming04 16.07 Tmp19 18.07 Marriott01 04.08 Tmp20.
D. See The Stirnet Portal to find out how easy it is to get a free link from this Families Database to your own web site. If you don't have your own site at the moment but would like one, we may be able to help you with that also.