Latest pages released
PAGE LAST UPDATED : 07 DECEMBER 2023
This page shows the genie data pages that have been uploaded into the database so far this year. Pages uploaded in earlier years are shown, in date order, here (2002-2011), here (2012-2021) and here (2022). The subtotals in bold below, and on the prior-years pages, show the numbers of the pages at various midpoint dates (in order Section I-Section II-Section III = Ancient-Continental-British) which have been used to provide the following graph. This shows the growth of the database from September 2002 to November 2023 (excluding the many draft & temporary pages).
You may wonder what makes us decide to include some families before others. The answer is that there is often little logic or specific purpose to it. We started off with certain core families related to Stirnet's founder's family (as reported on Sources and acknowledgments) and then gradually expanded the database, trying to cover all parts of the British Isles. We recognised that it would be sensible for us to develop a base of some 'major' familes (such as the Stewarts, Tudors, Howards & FitzGeralds) but at the same time we were keen to include many 'small landowners' and 'townfolk' to evidence that we intend for the database to set a broad target for people who want to find connections to historical figures and not just make it easier for people who already have a clear connection to a well-documented family. From time to time we may focus on a particular area of the British Isles or on a 'theme' (past themes have included the British Prime Ministers shown on the Selected Individuals page). If we are presently working on any theme or series of reviews, there will probably be reference to that in the "PCBG notes" given below.
We welcome suggestions for families to work on PROVIDED THAT you give clear direction as to where the data may be (or has been) sourced (remember that Sources and acknowledgments identifies many of the sources we already have copies of) AND you allow properly for the fact that we operate to the following constraints:
(1) with few exceptions, we do not come more forward in time than generations with at least one person born by 1800 (which at least means that, for many families, there is some overlap with the early censuses which can be found online elsewhere); and
(2) we focus only on British & Irish families so, unless a family comes back into the British Isles by 1800, it is very rare for us to follow a line which has emigrated from the British Isles; and
(3) we shall not include a family in our database until we have found a connection between that family and another family which is already in the database.
Several people have been very helpful with this, not least with suggesting useful sources we had not used previously, and so have obtained Free Membership. For more information on this, see Membership Scheme.
|1,919||1,331||1,162||703||193||306||261||231||214||331||225||223||Total at 31.12.22 = 64+96+6939 = 7099 (excluding the many Draft & Temporary pages)|
New pages uploaded so far in 2023: 144
01.01 Burdett4, Estwick1 02.01 Holden04 03.01 Maitland05 05.01 [old Fermor3 renamed Farmer01] Farmer02 07.01 Levinge2 16.01 Banaster04 17.01 Cooper06, Palmer08 20.01 Charnell1, Charnell2, Charnell3, MZmisc15 21.01 Wilmot03, Wilmot04 22.01 Kendall3 23.01 Ludford1, Rowe04 24.01 HZmisc21 27.01 Mann02 29.01 Oneby1 31.01 Mason06 At 31.01.23: 64+96+6961 = 7121 11.02 LeGross1, Western1 13.02 Hutchinson04 14.02 Moresby1 16.02 Neale2 17.02 CZmisc23 25.02 Swillington1 26.02 Sergeant1 At 28.02.23: 64+96+6969 = 7129 01.03 Beler1, Beler2 02.03 Folvile1 06.03 Pate1 07.03 Bennett06 09.03 Palmes3 10.03 Duffield1, Meautis1 11.03 Segrave3 13.03 [Old Digby02 renamed Digby04] Digby02, Digby03, Digby05 14.03 [Old Sherard2 renamed Sherard3] Sherard2 16.03 Christopher1 21.03 [Old Norwich1 renamed Norwich2] Holt04, Norwich1 23.03 Burrow1, Palmer09 26.03 Marmion1 27.03 Hackluit1, SZmisc23, Vowe1 28.03 StJohn07 29.03 Bliss1, Staveley02 At 31.03.23: 64+96+6994 = 7154 02.04 Alsop2 03.04 Holme04, Prestwich1 05.04 Beaumont08, Keck1, Wagstaffe1 06.04 Edwards07, Halford2 07.04 Brown25, Collins03 08.04 Pennington2 22.04 Peck1, Peck2 At 30.04.23: 64+96+7007 = 7167 03.05 Needham4, Needham5 06.05 Smalley1 07.05 Hyde05 19.05 BZmisc33 27.05 Giffard10 28.05 Billers1 29.05 [old Colvile1 renamed Colville03] Colville04 At 31.05.23: 64+96+7015 = 7175 02.06 Andrews06, Noble3 25.06 RZmisc12 29.06 Barwell1, Cheslyn1, Fulwood2, Oldershaw1 At 30.06.23: 64+96+7022 = 7182 01.07 Bainbridge2 03.07 Aylmer5, Clovile1 05.07 Harley03 10.07 Gee1, Remington1 11.07 EZmisc07 18.07 Woodcock02 21.07 Hill11 24.07 Gery2 26.07 Walsh05 28.07 Orton1 29.07 Eldred1 31.07 Mills02 At 31.07.23: 64+96+7036 = 7196 02.08 DZmisc14 08.08 Goodday1 11.08 Shardelow1 29.08 Metcalfe03 30.08 Hannay1, Thompson04 31.08 [old Blackwood1 renamed Blackwood2] Blackwood1 At 31.08.23: 64+96+7043 = 7203 19.09 Hayman1 20.09 Maxwell11 22.09 Bracebridge2 27.09 Ros2, Veitch1, Walkinshaw1 30.09 Cherry1 At 30.09.23: 64+96+7050 = 7210 02.10 Carroll1, Keble1 03.10 Agard1 05.10 Lewthwaite1, Lidwill1 11.10 Pepper1 13.10 Carpenter1, Carpenter2, Garnier1 14.10 Adeane1 16.10 Fremlin1, Pardoe1 17.10 Dobbs1 23.10 Dyson1 25.10 Brandreth1 At 31.10.23: 64+96+7050 = 7210 06.11 KZmisc07 11.11 Kennedy07 13.11 Sheppard1, Sheppard2 14.11 Sheppard3, Sheridan1 16.11 Massie07, Powell07 17.11 Topp1 19.11 [old Gibbs02 renamed Gibbs03] Gibbs02 20.11 Baskett1, Nesbitt1 21.11 Bunny2 At 30.11.23: 64+96+7078 = 7238 12.12 Luther1 03.12 [old Gale2 renamed Gale3] Gale2 04.12 Graham17, Harley04 07.12 Henning1.
PCBG notes (last updated 14.02.22 (yes: 2022!))
(1) I have a large backlog of things to work through at the moment, not least:
* Catching-up with correspondence. I have problems keeping up with the emails I receive and do apologise to those of you who are still waiting for a response from me. For more on this, please see the Contact Us page.
* Working through several Long-term projects (see that page).
* Trying to upgrade the huge amount of data in Draft & temporary pages: Can you help? so that it may be moved into 'the database proper'.
(2) Being apparently quiet for a while may mean that I have made only minor changes to the database pages in that period (something that is quite common; sometimes reviewing old pages & making minor changes can take longer than producing new pages) or that I am in the midst of a major project that is taking several days to complete (also quite common) or, of course, that I have simply not worked on the site recently.
A. Only on rare occasions will I work on Sections I & II of the database, the Ancient & Continental sections that cover the early ancestors of various British Royals and others (see Ancestral Lines). Normally I concentrate on expanding & improving Section III of the database ('British Families - Medieval, Renaissance & Modern'). If you wish to suggest a family for me to work on, please see "We welcome suggestions ..." above.
B. The following pages have recently been subjected to significant change/extension and/or review (some involving the insertion of new families): 19.09 GZmisc14, HZmisc10 21.09 KZmisc04 22.09 Bracebridge1 29.09 BZmisc17 01.10 Jervis3 02.10 NZmisc04 03.10 Dawson05, King04 05.10 LZmisc13 15.10 Allen07, AZmisc14 17.10 CZmisc23 22.10 HZmisc21 23.10 Edwards07 31.10 Brome1 01.11 Lee05 06.11 Powell03, TZmisc02 08.11 Scawen1 10.11 SZmisc23 11.11 SZmisc23 19.11 Gibbs01 27.11 CZmisc23, Green08 30.11 MZmisc03.