If you have registered with us already, to login just use the Login fields on the left. Otherwise, you are invited to register an account with us and subscribe for a Stirnet Membership. IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS REGISTERING (OR LOGGING-IN) SEE OUR TROUBLESHOOTING PAGE. Should your browser block the process because it views this site as ‘insecure’ and you do not wish to try another browser, please note that we expect this site to have been fully converted to https by 20th October 2018.
The interruption is to encourage people to support the database, whether by financial subscription or by data contribution. If you have subscribed for (or been granted) Stirnet Membership then you may view all of the database without interruption throughout your subscription/free period.
– If you are new to this site: “Welcome!” I apologise for the interruption but the Families Database would not have existed had I not poured many thousands of hours of work into it and that would not have been possible had the database not been generating some income. This interruption is the means I have to encourage people to support the site. The few seconds delay before the interruption should be enough to enable you to move around the database by clicking quickly on the page links, giving you just enough time to ‘get a feel’ for what it offers. To help you evaluate the database further, viewing of the support pages (including the alphabetical indices which list the families covered) is not interrupted.
– If you are not new to this site: “Welcome back!” If you have been away for a while you will find that, since you were last here, the database has grown and there have been many changes to the site!
The Families Database has obtained a following because it does what many people want – provide a huge amount of genie data in an easy-to-see way, with sources identified, and (where possible) uncertainties & contradictions highlighted. The database does have some restrictions (it only covers generations born by 1800 of documented British & Irish families) but it is one of the largest genie databases on the Internet. If you are interested in ‘old documented families’ (many of which were titled or landed but many were not), you will probably find that this database will save you time, effort & money. How much time/effort/money? That depends on which families you are interested in. The ‘generations born by 1800’ restriction means that this database will not help you find your great-grandparents but for many families it overlaps with the earliest censuses so, if you can trace your ancestry back to (say) 1840, there is chance that we can take you back many more generations, maybe even back to Adam & Eve!
There is a simple 3 step process – Select a subscription period, Register, Pay.
1. Subscription costs range from £10 (14 days) to £60 (365 days). You choose what you want and select a method of payment. A ‘Free’ option is available but that does not provide membership and should normally be used only if we have asked you to.
2. Registration follows common Internet requirements – real name, email address, username & password, agreement to simple Terms & Conditions. In this step you are given the option to pay via PayPal (which leads you to Step 3) or by Bank Transfer or Sterling Cheque (which takes you out of the subscription process but does leave you having registered an account with us).
3. Payment (via PayPal) is by standard Internet means – debit/credit card or PayPal account.
Step 3 is avoided if either the ‘Free’ Option is selected in step 1 or ‘Bank Transfer or Cheque’ is selected as the Payment Method in step 2. However, to become a Stirnet Member and view the Families Database without interruption right away, you do need to complete Step 3. Registering an account with us without intending to complete payment is normally a waste of time though there are circumstances when it is appropriate.
We offer 4 subscription packages. They are all ‘non-recurring’ (one-off) unless you specifically set them to be ‘recurring’ (automatic renewal). Subscriptions that have expired can be renewed. Payment is normally by debit/credit card or PayPal account though payment by Bank Transfer or Sterling cheque is also possible (see Payments by Bank Transfer or Sterling cheque). The packages are:
– £10 for 14 days
– £15 for 31 days
– £30 for £93 days
– £60 for 365 days